Syria's Defence Minister dies in suicide attack
By Associated Press - BEIRUT
18th July 2012 05:47 PM
Syria's state-run TV says President Bashar Assad's brother-in-law is among the dead in a suicide bombing in Damascus.
Gen. Assef Shawkat was the deputy defence minister in Syria. He was among the most feared figures in Assad's inner circle. He is married to Assad's elder sister, Bushra.
Defense Minister Dawoud Rajha also was killed in Wednesday's blast. The interior minister was wounded.
State-TV says the bomber struck the National Security building during a meeting of Cabinet ministers and senior security officials.
- India's poor need more purchasing power, not doles
- Japan support sought for Vision 2023
- Rahul aide to pick Nellore MP candidate
- Kerala: PSC guidelines put candidates in a fix
- Dead son's education loan: Bank seeks its pound of flesh
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Slum removal scheme tweaked to make it more effective
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Tata Motors unveils 8 upgraded models of passenger vehicles
- Flaws in Koodankulam plant
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- 60 killed in Nigerian village attacks
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair