Vietnam will make drug itself to execute prisoners
By AP - HANOI (Vietnam)
24th January 2013 10:50 AM
Vietnam will begin producing its own chemical for executing prisoners after factories in the European Union stopped shipments because of objections there to the death penalty.
Vietnam stopped using firing squads in 2011 because of concerns it was traumatizing the shooters. Last year, the government said it was unable to execute 532 on death row because it couldn't source the drugs for lethal injections.
The Laborer newspaper on Thursday quoted Minister of Public Security Tran Dai Quang as saying Vietnam will produce its own drug. The report gave no details.
EU factories are the main supplier of drugs that can be used in executions. Several American states have also said objections from European factories were making it hard to find the chemical.
- UPA-II anniversary: No honest appraisal
- Woolwich attack provokes anti-Muslim backlash across UK
- Bangladesh allows transit for foodgrains for Northeast India
- Increasing friction between the Chandy and Chennithala factions
- 'Data shows gambling rampant in India'
- Madrasi heart for Pakistani Madrassa teacher
- Somayagam returns after 48 years
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Raids on six officials reveals huge stash
- Now, Delhi police go after eight Kings XI Punjab players
- Chennai Super Kings owner Gurunath Meiyappan arrested
- CBSE results likely to be out in 4-5 days
- Police get Gurunath, Srinivasan squirms
- Unswayed city backs CSK’s final ‘fix’ture
- Gurunath Meiyappan neither CSK owner nor Team Principal: India Cements