China shuts 97,000 blogs, online porn accounts
By IANS - BEIJING
29th September 2012 11:50 AM
As part of its anti-pornography drive, Chinese authorities have shut down about 97,000 blog and microblog accounts for spreading pornography and lewd content.
According to State Internet Information Office, authorities closed the accounts over the past seven months, Xinhua reported.
To curb lewd content from spreading via the Internet and cellphones, authorities banned 164 pornographic publications, the office said.
A total of 287 Internet companies were probed and punished during the campaign, it said.
The office also said public security authorities have cracked 2,446 cases of pornography, and 41 rings involved in pornography via the Internet were busted.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Knowledge and faith
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Spot-fixing: CSK owner's relative under police scanner for Vindu connection
- IPL Eliminator: Brad Hodge helps Royals beat Sunrisers