Notorious rowdy Jegan's head blown off in bomb attack
By Debjani Dutta - PUDUCHERRY
11th August 2012 08:03 AM
In a shocking and well-planned attack in broad daylight, a 10-15 member gang killed notorious rowdy Jegan in a police van on the Puducherry-Cuddalore road on Friday and fled the spot.
The gangster’s head was blown to bits by a country bomb that hit his face, according to the probe officer. Five policemen, including a Sub-Inspector and the driver of the vehicle sustained injuries.
The assailants, suspected to be from a rival group, had hurled several country-made explosives at the police vehicle that was taking Jegan — who was serving a life term, besides being accused in several other cases — from a Puducherry court to the Karaikal Sub Jail.
The incident took place around 4 pm on the Chunamber river bridge. The gang members, on motorcycles and an Innova car, created a traffic jam on the bridge by hurling explosives. Following the commotion, a bus that was in front of the police van stopped.
Consequently, the vehicle ferrying Jegan had to stop. The Innova car and the assailants’ bikes in the rear blocked the van’s attempts to reverse and wriggle out. The assailants threw country bombs at the van as police opened fire in retaliation.
As smoke from the explosives and police firing engulfed the scene, the attackers sped towards Cuddalore in their getaway vehicles.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Slum removal scheme tweaked to make it more effective
- Ready to tune in the lord, catch him up on Twitter
- 'Early monsoon beneficial for kharif crops'
- 95 per cent stolen goods not recovered in Kerala, says NCRB
- Deadly year for encephalitis feared in India
- A mobile phone for Kerala CM, finally
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Learnt to embrace simplicity from SRK: Puvisha
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15