CM grants Rs 750 crore for urban development
By Express News Service - CHENNAI
09th August 2012 09:27 AM
Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Wednesday allocated Rs 750 crore for implementing projects under the Integrated Urban Development Mission during the current financial year.
Of the total allocation, Rs 500 crore would be spent on the projects for Corporations (except Chennai) and municipalities and Rs 250 crore on projects for town panchayats. Besides, the CM granted Rs 6 crore for constructing own buildings for 15 town panchayats — Pennathur, Panaimarathupatti, Arakandanallur, Pannaikkadu, Chettipalayam, Pallapalayam, Perundurai and Vengambur, Kamudhi, Sayalkudi, Kalakkadu, Thirukkurnkudi, Pathamadai, Thisayanvilai and Aralvaimozhi.
The CM also sanctioned Rs 1 crore for a new building for the office of the Joint Director of Town Panchayats in Tirunelveli Zone. As a large number of people are migrating to urban areas in search of jobs, the government has to provide basic amenities for them. Considering this, the CM evolved the Integrated Urban Development Mission, under which, basic amenities will be provided in urban areas at an expense of Rs 6,654.03 crore. Last year, the CM earmarked Rs 506.48 crore for Corporations (except Chennai) and municipalities and Rs 250.80 crore for urban projects.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- Suriya storms ahead of Vijay, Ajith online
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs
- Vindu Dara Singh nabbed for IPL scam links
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- CCTV must for BPUT exam centres