17 get lifer for AIADMK man’s murder four years ago
By Express News Service - CUDDALORE
31st July 2012 08:14 AM
The Principal Sessions Court in Cuddalore awarded life sentence to 17 persons, all of whom are close and distance relatives, on Monday for murdering an AIADMK functionary, Thanga Janarthanan, at T Kumarapuram near Cuddalore on October 28, 2008.
Since 14 of the accused hailed from T Kumarapuram, also the village of the 50-year-old deceased, a huge crowd gathered at the court premises. When Principal Sessions judge Uthirapathy pronounced the judgment, a pall of gloom descended on the crowd with some of the relatives breaking to tears in the court campus. Later, the convicted persons were taken to the Cuddalore jail.
Janarthanan was killed at midnight while he was sleeping in his house by the group that surrounded his house and gained entry by breaking open the doors. Janathanan, who was attacked with lethal weapons, died later in hospital. The men also vandalised a few houses in the locality.
The motive behind the murder was Janarthanam helping out a cable TV operator, Iyyappan of T Kumarapuram in settling a dispute with some of the convicted them. Those men are alleged to have causing disturbances to Iyyappan’ business when Janarthanan tried to sort out matters.
Angered over it, the group conspired to kill him. Based on a complaint filed by Janarthanan’s son Vignesh, police registered case against Arul(a)Aruljothi (29), Sathish (a) Sathishkumar (29), Mohan (28), Pandurangan(40), Pushpanathan (33), Devanathan,Kumar(37), Sathishkumar (28), Vijayaranga (34), Siva (a) Sivaraj (24), Dhasarathan (28), Kaliyamurthy (54), Kumar (a) Rajkumar (34), Kannan, Moscow (28), Rajaguru (28) and Gunasekaran.
The judge also levied a fine of Rs 1000 and a year’s jail term on all the accused for damaging public property. Also, under 449 IPC, they had been awarded 10 years jail term, which they would have to undergo, concurrently, as per the judgment.
Public prosecutor Ravindhiran appeared in the case. Police teams were deployed in the court campus in T Kumarapuram village.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Slum removal scheme tweaked to make it more effective
- Ready to tune in the lord, catch him up on Twitter
- 'Early monsoon beneficial for kharif crops'
- 95 per cent stolen goods not recovered in Kerala, says NCRB
- Karnataka MLAs were frugal in their poll spending
- Now talcum powder linked to ovarian cancer
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Learnt to embrace simplicity from SRK: Puvisha
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15