Chennai: Unpaid driver makes off with Rs 14 lakh booze load
By U Tejonmayam | ENS - CHENNAI
24th July 2012 08:17 AM
Irked over his employer not paying his salary, a 32-year-old driver escaped with a van loaded with TASMAC liquor worth Rs 14 lakh from its godown at Ambattur Industrial Estate.
Hours after he threw a party to his friends with the stolen liquor in his hometown in Tiruvannamalai district and much before he could sell the rest of goods and vehicle to make easy money, he landed in police net. Police said they arrested L Baskar of Lourdh Madha Street, Sembiumpakkam, Polur Taluk in Tiruvannamalai district for allegedly escaping in a van with TASMAC liquor after tracing his cellphone signal.
Baskar had worked for a person called T Vijaya Vasudevan (32) of Senthil Nagar, Kolathur, who had a contract to supply liquor from the TASMAC godown at Ambattur Industrial Estate to shops in and around Chennai, for the past one month. Police sources said Baskar claimed that he stole the vehicle with the liquor as he was upset with his employer for deducting his salary to compensate the expenses incurred on the van after it was damaged when it met with an accident 10 days back.
On Saturday, Baskar had taken the liquor from the godown and had supplied them to shops at Thirumangalam, Anna Nagar. He had later gone to a outlet at Koyambedu to supply liquor but had to return to the godown as he had reached the shop past closing time. After reaching Ambattur, Baskar parked the van in front of the godown as he could leave the rest of the goods back since it was already billed. More: P4
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- 'Kiran visited Delhi 76 times since he became CM'
- Bangalore scores low on medical tourism
- Sleepless nights, no baths for Sreesanth
- ‘Lack of anthropologists hits welfare policymaking’
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Key relationships
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes
- Jiju Janardhanan’s house in Kannur wears deserted look
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt
- Indefinite strike leaves city parched; mineral water bottles fly off shop shelves
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner