We have not dropped Tamil Eelam demand: Karunanidhi
By PTI - CHENNAI
18th July 2012 08:08 PM
DMK President M Karunanidhi today said his party had not abandoned its demand for Eelam, a separate home land for Tamils in Sri Lanka, and it remained his "unfulfilled dream."
He said his remarks on Monday, that the August 12 conference of Tamil Eelam Supporters Organisation (TESO), a pro-Lankan Tamils outfit recently revived by him, would discuss means to ensure welfare and rehabilitation of the "remaining Tamils," did not mean the party dropped its demand for Eelam.
Indicating that a section of media had distorted his statements and said he had made a climb down on Eelam demand, Karunanidhi said it had been clearly mentioned that the first meet of the revived organisation would work out ways and means to ensure welfare of "remaining" Tamils.
"However, this does not mean we have dropped the Tamil Eelam demand. I had made it clear at the press conference (on Monday) and reiterate that Tamil Eelam is my unfulfilled dream," he said.
"At a time when the Sri Lankan Tamils look up to us for a helping hand, we should work on aiding them without further devastation. Whether it be the government of India or any other country that comes forward to help them, it is our duty to insist them to redress their (Tamils') grievance," he said writing in party mouthpiece 'Murasoli.'
Karunanidhi also recalled he had said it would come into existence some time and said some were trying to create confusion.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Knowledge and faith
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Suriya storms ahead of Vijay, Ajith online