72 held for crude bomb attack on cops
By Express News Service - SRIVILLIPUTHUR
29th June 2012 10:50 AM
A section of villagers belonging to a scheduled caste in W Pudhupatti, who moved to a nearby hillock alleging police atrocity, hurled crude bombs at the police personnel, deployed to maintain law and order in the village, on Wednesday night.
One bomb exploded making a huge noise, while another failed to explode. The policemen escaped without any injuries.
The police arrested 72 persons, including 53 women, belonging to two rival sub-castes of the community in the village.
Deputy Inspector General of Police (Madurai Range), B Bala Naga Devi reviewed the security situation in the village on Thursday. “The situation is under control and we have deployed enough police personnel to maintain peace in the village.
When we went to arrest the accused, who hurled bombs at police personnel, the women from the village prevented us and even tried to assault us,” Najmul Hoda, Superintendent of Police, Virudhunagar, told Express on Thursday.
Madurai Deputy Inspector General of Police Bala Naga Devi, who inspected the village, said that the judiciary was already involved in holding peace talks with the villagers.
“We will join with the judiciary and try to bring permanent solution to the problem,” she added.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Deadly year for encephalitis feared in India
- A mobile phone for Kerala CM, finally
- India becomes Kenya's largest Asian trading partner
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: HC
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15