SHRC calls for report on touts fleecing patients
By T S Sekaran - CHENNAI
29th June 2012 09:10 AM
The TN State Human Rights Commission has directed the Director of Medical Education to enquire and submit a report within two weeks on touts fleecing patients at the Stanley Medical Hospital in Washermanpet.
SHRC member Jayanthi, IAS (retired), gave the direction last week while entertaining a complaint filed in public interest by advocate K Sudhan, based on a newspaper report.
The complaint stated that the hospital was having about 1,500 inpatients and 5000 outpatients on an average every day. This was the lifeline hospital for all sick persons from North Chennai, Tiruvallur district and those coming from far off places in Andhra Pradesh.
Stanley Hospital was famous for some of its speciality treatments like heart ailments, plastic surgery on limbs, etc.
The news item revealed that the hospital was now infested with touts claiming to know several doctors and that they demanded money from the patients. They also gave promises that they could arrange surgeries for any patient on a priority or out of turn basis.
Though it was not known as to whether these touts really had any tie up with the doctors, it was quite obvious that numerous relatives of patients awaiting surgeries had successfully accomplished their desired task with the help of these freelance touts.
The other aspect highlighted in the news item was that the womenfolk visiting the hospital during nights were harassed and subjected to eve teasing. The complainant prayed the commission to issue suitable orders.
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Western Ghat report has imperialist mindset: Ecologist
- Lot more to India-China ties than border stand-off: Experts
- Major industrial conglomerates making a beeline for Haryana
- Man kidnapped 23 years ago finds kin thanks to Google Maps
- Bangalore's techies start 'brand tattoos' craze
- Indian circuses struggle to adapt after court bans
- Want hassle-free tatkal ticket? Personally visit special counters
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner
- Kalabhavan Mani missing after assaulting forest staff
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt
- Tamil Brahmi script dating to 500 BC found near Erode
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs