MK objects to remarks by SL minister on Tamils
By PTI - CHENNAI
20th June 2012 12:58 PM
Taking objection to the "highly provocative" remarks reportedly made by a Sri Lankan Minister warning of a backlash against Tamils in the island, DMK chief M Karunanidhi Wednesday asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to take up the issue with Colombo, saying Tamils were "perturbed" over the matter.
"It has come to our notice that Sri Lankan Cabinet Minister Champika Ranawaka has threatened that one Mullivaikal (where Tamil civilians were reportedly killed in large numbers during the war against LTTE) was enough and that no one should try to get hundred more," he said in a faxed message to Singh.
The remarks were "highly provocative and therefore condemnable," Karunanidhi, whose party is a key constituent of ruling UPA at the Centre, said, adding, Tamils all over the world are "very much perturbed over the reprehensible remarks."
"I, therefore, request you to kindly use your good offices to take up this matter with the Sri Lankan government with an advice to adopt a course of restraint and humanitarianism. The UNO may also be apprised of such harsh stance of the Sri Lankan government," he added.
The Sri Lankan minister had reportedly made the remarks recently in response to Tamil National alliance MP R Sambanthan warning of a fight for their "external self-determination" if Tamils were denied their rights.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- Police summon CSK boss on spot-fixing
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Bride-to-be found with head smashed
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Top LeT militant killed in encounter
- CBSE kids in fix as colleges begin enrolling