PRTC buys ‘outside’ diesel to escape hike
By Debjani Dutta - PUDUCHERRY
26th January 2013 08:10 AM
Following the recent diesel price hike, the Pondicherry Road Transport Corporation (PRTC) has started purchasing fuel from Amuthasurabhi, a retail Cooperative bunk on ECR.
This, with a view to avoiding an additional financial implication of Rs 17 to Rs 18 lakh a month. Recently, the price of bulk diesel was raised by Rs 11.81 per litre.
After the hike, the price soared from Rs 49.81 per litre to Rs 61.62 per litre, which would mean that the Corporation would need to shell out an additional Rs 2 crore annually for diesel.
As a stop-gap arrangement, PRTC buses have been using the cooperative bunk since Wednesday, and would continue to do so till a decision is taken in this regard, sources said. The PRTC plies 85 buses, 40 interstate and 45 town buses. On an average, it requires 1.40 lakh litres of diesel per month. With the price hike, the Corporation will need to spend Rs 87 lakh per month as against the earlier Rs 70 lakh.
The PRTC’s bunk at the depot maintained exclusively for its buses is temporarily out of operation.
Unless, there is a change in policy of the Centre, the Corporation would need to decide whether to convert the bunk into a retail outlet and allow its use to other vehicles or to close it down and let its buses use retail outlets.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- Police summon CSK boss on spot-fixing
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Bride-to-be found with head smashed
- Top LeT militant killed in encounter
- CBSE kids in fix as colleges begin enrolling
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy