Political prophet for many party cadre
By S Senthil Kumar | ENS - COIMBATORE
24th December 2012 10:03 AM
Today, they are well recognised faces in Tamil Nadu’s politics. But they gratefully acknowledge that they owe it all to MGR and his political heir Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa.
When MGR was Chief Minister, S Thirunavukkarasu, who was a Minister in his Cabinet, famously declared in the Legislative Assembly: “We are all ‘zeros’. MGR is like the number ‘1’. ‘Zero’ gains value only when ‘1’ is placed before it.” After all, it was MGR who had inspired many of them to enter politics.
Agriculture Minister S Damodaran recalls that his political journey began when he started a MGR Fans Club in his village at the age of 18. “We were inspired by his roles which showcased him as a man with helping tendency who would champion the cause of the poor. I followed his path and entered politics as a union secretary of the ADMK (later AIADMK) when MGR formed it in 1972,” says Damodaran. “Our Chief Minister has been responsible for my political career development after MGR’s death,” he adds.
TN Deputy Speaker Pollachi V Jayaraman says he cannot forget the day in 1978 when MGR visited his house after attending a local school function. “I was a party cadre then. MGR spent nearly two hours in my house enquiring about family members. He named my three children Sathyaselvi, Mukundan and Tamilmozhi,” he says. For, Coimbatore North constituency MLA T Malaravan was nicknamed ‘Malarvan’ by MGR and later he made it his official name.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Deadly year for encephalitis feared in India
- A mobile phone for Kerala CM, finally
- India becomes Kenya's largest Asian trading partner
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: HC