Throw out Walmart, says DMK
By Express News Service - CHENNAI
14th December 2012 08:51 AM
The DMK’s executive committee on Wednesday hit out at the State government for keeping up its stance against allowing FDI in the retail sector in the State even as US retail giant Walmart sets up operations in Chennai.
The executive committee also announced that the party would hold demonstrations across the State on December 18 against the power deficit. The demonstrations will be led by the party chief M Karunanidhi, who will take part in south Chennai. The party asked functionaries at all levels to take part in the demonstrations.
Even as it defended its decision to vote in favour of retail FDI in Parliament, the DMK’s executive committee came out with a resolution asking the AIADMK government to take steps to ensure Walmart does not set up shop in TN. “Walmart has gained backdoor entry into the State. It is setting up a shopping complex on seven-acre plot of land in Vanagaram and a marketing office in Anna Nagar. There are also reports that Walmart is enrolling the support of local shop keepers with the promise of providing products at reduced rates. The government must look into these allegations and ensure that Walmart does not get any foothold in Tamil Nadu,” read the resolution.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- Police summon CSK boss on spot-fixing
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Bride-to-be found with head smashed
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Top LeT militant killed in encounter
- CBSE kids in fix as colleges begin enrolling