‘Plea to take action on civic chief for relief fraud’
By Express News Service - CHENNAI
03rd December 2012 08:26 AM
A writ plea has been made in the Madras High Court for a direction to the government to take action against P Panneerselvam, chairman of Panrutti Municipality, for swindling crores of rupees sanctioned for ‘Thane’ cyclone-affected families in Panrutti and surrounding areas.
The first bench comprising Chief Justice MY Eqbal and Justice TS Sivagnanam before which the public interest writ petition from K Mani of Pudu Nagar in Cuddalore district came up last week, ordered notice to the authorities concerned, returnable in two weeks.
According to petitioner’s counsel G Sankaran, the TN government allotted Rs 4.75 crore to provide relief to the families affected by the cyclone which hit the district on December 30 last year.
However, Panneerselvam and his men misappropriated the funds.
They created bogus documents, ration cards, forged the signatures of the recipients and in some cases impersonated the beneficiaries. Complete records had been created as if the entire amount of Rs 4.75 crore had been expended towards Thane relief by exaggerating the number of houses and huts affected and by creation of records with forged signatures. The money had not reached the genuine affected persons.
He had obtained information by using the Right to Information Act and was shocked to see that in some places, one single person affixed his signature for a number of beneficiaries. In some areas, consisting of educated persons, all the recipients ‘strangely’ affixed their thumb impressions. Thereby, Panneerselvam and his men swindled crores of rupees, Sankaran contended, and prayed for appropriate action against them.
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Knowledge and faith
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Spot-fixing: CSK owner's relative under police scanner for Vindu connection