Cops gun down 2 in SI murder case
By Express News Service - MADURAI
01st December 2012 08:59 AM
Two youth arrested in connection with the recent murder of young Sub-Inspector Alwin Sudhan on the eve of the Thevar Jayanthi celebrations were shot dead by policemen in Sivaganga late on Friday evening after they allegedly escaped from custody earlier at Madurai.
Police said accused Prabhu and Bharathi, aged 25, who were being taken from the Madurai Central Prison to a sessions court in Sivaganga, had attacked escort policemen and escaped near a checkpost on Sivaganga Road. Subsequently, they were cornered and killed in an alleged encounter at Melamelkudi near Manamadurai. Two Sub-Inspectors and some constables were allegedly injured when they were attacked by the accused.
Confirming the incident DIG (Ramanathapuram Range) M Ramasubramani said the two were killed when police fired at them in self-defence. “The escort vehicle carrying Prabhu and Bharathi left the prison at 11.55 am. Around 12.45 pm when it reached K K Nagar, one of the accused requested us to stop the vehicle saying he wanted to attend to nature’s call. We stopped the van near Vandiyur Lake Park. Suddenly both of them began attacking us and escaped after pushing us from the vehicle,” Sub-Inspector Senthil Velan said in a complaint lodged at the Anna Nagar police station.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Suriya storms ahead of Vijay, Ajith online
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs
- Vindu Dara Singh nabbed for IPL scam links
- Chandy aborted Chennithala’s Cabinet berth: NSS
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham