Thiruvavaduthurai mutt head dies, successor named
By Express News Service - NAGAPATTINAM
23rd November 2012 09:02 AM
Shri Sivaprakasa Desiga Paramacharya Swamigal, the 23rd head of Thiruvavaduthurai Adheenam, the ancient Saivaite mutt at Thiruvavaduthurai in the district, passed away in the wee hours of Thursday.
The 65-year-old Sivaprakasa Swamigal suffered health problems earlier this month. About 15-days back, the Swamigal was hospitalised following breathing complaints. He breathed his last on the way to Kumbakonam at Aduthurai. The end came around 2 am, said mutt sources. The last rites towards ‘Dhikshai’ for the swamigal were performed on Thursday noon. He was laid to rest in the Adheenam’s Nandavanam, where the samadhis of 11 previous adheenams are located.
Following the death of Sivaprakasa Swamigal, Sri Meenakshisundara Desiga Paramachaya Swamigal (52), Kattalai Thambiran at Thiruvidaimaruthur temple , took over as the 24th head of the Adheenam. He has taken the title of Ambalavana Desiga Parmacharya Swamigal.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Slum removal scheme tweaked to make it more effective
- Ready to tune in the lord, catch him up on Twitter
- 95 per cent stolen goods not recovered in Kerala, says NCRB
- Karnataka MLAs were frugal in their poll spending
- Now talcum powder linked to ovarian cancer
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Learnt to embrace simplicity from SRK: Puvisha
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- Flaws in Koodankulam plant
- Congress to vote in Nitish government's favour today