Close down nuke plant: Fisherfolk
By Express News Service - PUDUKKOTTAI
22nd November 2012 11:48 AM
Anaithu Meenavar Sankankalin Kootamaipu, a confederation of fishermen welfare associations, presented a petition to the government urging the State government to put pressure on the Centre to close down the Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant (KKNPP), on the World Fishermen Day, here on Wednesday.
The confederation pointed out that KKNPP will wreak havoc in the livelihood of fisherfolk and will pose a threat to the lives of the people living in the villages in that neighbourhood.
They also insisted that the State government take steps to stop the attacks on Indian fishermen by the Sri Lankan Navy and ensure the release of TN fishermen languishing in Lankan jails. Besides, they demanded that facilities should be upgraded at Kasimedu Fishing Harbour.
The petitions were submitted to Chennai DRO Seethalakshmi, who is Collector in-charge. She assured that the petition would be forwarded to the government for further action.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Farmer gets wise, beats drought with micro-irrigation
- Translation to go hi-tech; C-DAC to launch ‘Translator’
- Hurdles galore as UPA walks road to Ballot 2014
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- Western Ghats: Gadgil’s missive to Kasturirangan opens fresh debate
- Key relationships
- Siddaramaiah has his way with team
- Jaya expresses grief over pontiff's death
- Car makers run into diesel dilemma
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Hyderabad beat Kolkata, make semis; put RCB out