DMK eases into poll mode with youth wing meet
By Express News Service - CHENNAI
19th November 2012 08:45 AM
The DMK youth wing’s statewide conference commenced at the Anna Grounds, in Maraimalai Nagar on Sunday, even as the clouds of factionalism continued to loom over the recent appointment of its functionaries.
The conference saw the participation of around 4,000 delegates who had recently been appointed to youth wing posts in each of the party’s organisational divisions. The appointments had raised the tenor of the factional feud between M K Alagiri and M K Stalin, sons of party president M Karunanidhi. Alagiri’s faction had raised an issue with the appointments made by Stalin, who serves as the youth wing secretary.
The conference at Maraimalai Nagar has been seen by party insiders as Stalin’s show of strength.
The conference was inaugurated by Stalin on Sunday morning, with local party satrap T M Anbarasan hoisting the flag at the venue.
Party chief M Karunanidhi and general secretary K Anbazhagan took part in the event on Sunday evening. Sources within the party said the conference is an attempt by Stalin to galvanise the youth wing ahead of preparations for the Lok Sabha polls that are scheduled for 2014.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- Police summon CSK boss on spot-fixing
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Bride-to-be found with head smashed
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Top LeT militant killed in encounter
- CBSE kids in fix as colleges begin enrolling