Fishermen warned of SL-made IED afloat near coast
By S Kumaresan - PUDUKKOTTAI
18th November 2012 08:29 AM
Following an intelligence alert that an explosive material made by former Sri Lankan navy officials is afloat near Tamil Nadu’s coast, fishermen have been warned not to touch anything in the sea and coastal security has been beefed up accordingly.
According to sources, from Friday night, coastal security police of Tamil Nadu intensified their patrolling following a red alert issued by the IB on explosive substance called Improvised Explosive Device (IED) floating in the Indian sea.
It is said to have been manufactured by former navy officials of the island.From Nagai to Kanniyakumari, more than 12 coastal police stations with two boats in each station are involved in the monitoring process.
A total of 14 boats had been engaged in vigilance activities from Friday night and they would be in the sea till November 19.
The officials attached with the coastal police instructed the fishermen that no one should touch or hit any unknown floating substance.
When they see any suspicious floating material in the sea, they should inform ‘1093’ (Toll free number of coastal security service).
Chezhiyan, inspector of Special branch of Pudukkottai district told Express that they had indeed received such an alert, but added that it was a routine issue.
He added that the police had strengthened the coastal security based on the information received .
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Western Ghat report has imperialist mindset: Ecologist
- Lot more to India-China ties than border stand-off: Experts
- Major industrial conglomerates making a beeline for Haryana
- Man kidnapped 23 years ago finds kin thanks to Google Maps
- Bangalore's techies start 'brand tattoos' craze
- Indian circuses struggle to adapt after court bans
- Want hassle-free tatkal ticket? Personally visit special counters
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner
- Indefinite strike leaves city parched; mineral water bottles fly off shop shelves
- Tamil Brahmi script dating to 500 BC found near Erode
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs