Take Nadar text out of book: CM
By Express News Service - CHENNAI
17th November 2012 11:33 AM
CM J Jayalalithaa on Friday wrote to PM Manmohan Singh, pressing him to order the removal of contentious paragraphs in the NCERT Class IX Social Science textbook that showed the Nadars in poor light.
In her letter, Jayalalithaa cited historical evidence and literary references to reason why the section on Nadars must be removed. She noted that ruins beneath the Teri palmyra forests and the Pandyan capital of Korkai suggest the community could be descendents of early Pandyas. “Two inscriptions at Kallidaikurichi suggest that in medieval times Nadars served as administrators and accountants for both Chera and Pandya kingdoms. Thus, the Nadar community is not a lower caste as mentioned in the CBSE book,” she wrote.
She pointed out that Nadars were original inhabitants of Kanyakumari district, which she claimed was what remained of the mythological sunken continent of Kumari Kandam. She pointed out pertinent references to this in Tholkappiam and Silappathikaram.
The social and economic development achieved by Nadars over the years is commendable, she said, adding that the contribution of political leaders from the community, like K Kamaraj, was immeasurable. “The incorrect details given in the book... may leave a wrong impression in the minds of students,” read the letter. The Centre has said it would look into the issue. The assurance was given by HRD Minister M M Pallam Raju to his party colleague and Shipping Minister G K Vasan.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- New Mental Health Bill bans electric shocks, gives right to treatment
- Caste curses Dalit, tribal children to life of slavery beyond borders
- Tiruchendur temple ‘under grip’ of Tirusundarars
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- Berthing facilities for naval ships
- Several cheating cases against Saritha S Nair
- Imran Khan damaged Pakistan cricket: Aamir Sohail
- Shalu Menon's mother files plaint
- 'Ankur Arora Murder Case' (Hindi)