Nagai tense after AIADMK man’s murder
By Express News Service - NAGAPATTINAM
15th October 2012 08:50 AM
Tension gripped some parts of the district on Sunday, following the murder of M Saravanakumar (30) of Akarakadambanur, an AIADMK youth wing functionary at Keelvelur, on Saturday.
Supporters of M Saravanakumar ransacked two houses and torched them on Sunday and police used mild lathicharge to disperse the mob.
Saravanakumar, deputy convener of AIADMK youth wing, was murdered by an unidentified gang at Keelvelur bazzar on Saturday.
His supporters blocked the road at Keelvelur on Saturday, demanding the arrest of culprits, but withdrew the blockade after police assured them arrest of the culprits.
No case was registered by the Keelvelur police against anyone till Sunday.
Sources said police were inquiring a person from Tiruvarur and another from Keelvelur.
Meanwhile, 800 supporters of Saravanakumar blocked the Nagore-Tiruvarur road at Keelvelur on Sunday again and demanded arrest of the culprits responsible for Saravanakumar’s murder.
In a parallel development, another group ransacked the restaurant run by one Thirugnanasambandham of Akarakadambanur on Saturday. The violent mob also torched his house.
Later, the group also ransacked and torched the house of Thirugnanasambandham’s brother and Keelvelur-Perur DMK secretary, Atchayalingam.
Nagapattinam Superintendent of Police K Ramar, Tiruvarur Superintendent of Police Xaviour Dhanraj, and team rushed to the spot with a force to bring the situation under control.
Cops resorted to a mild lathicharge to disperse the mob that indulged in violence.
At this juncture, AIADMK members raised slogans against the police alleging that Mayiladuthurai Lok Sabha MP O S Manian, who had come to pay homage to the body of Saravanakumar, also fell victim to the lathicharge.
Following these incidents, tension continued to prevail at Keelvelur and surrounding areas for the second day on Sunday.
- Madrasi heart for Pakistani Madrassa teacher
- Somayagam returns after 48 years
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- CBSE results likely to be out in 4-5 days
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- Sushma upset at Modi role, walks out of BJP meet
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- Bride-to-be found with head smashed
- 56,700 Indians face deportation from Saudi Arabia: Khurshid
- CBSE kids in fix as colleges begin enrolling
- Top LeT militant killed in encounter