Distribute crop insurance money in 7 days: CM
By Express News Service - BHUBANESWAR
09th August 2012 11:48 AM
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Wednesday asked the Department of Cooperation to distribute crop insurance amount among the flood and drought-hit farmers in seven days.
Official sources said the money will be transferred to the respective bank accounts of the farmers through the electronic transfer system.
Chairman-cum-managing director of the Agriculture Insurance Company of India (AICI) handed over a cheque for ` 110 crore to the managing director of Odisha State Cooperative Bank (OSCB) in the presence of Naveen Patnaik at the Secretariat.
A total of 5,71,682 farmers affected by last year’s flood and drought, would benefit from the national agricultural insurance scheme. The affected farmers will get ` 657.32 crore as insurance money.
The State Government had already contributed its share of ` 277.72 crore to the insurance company. Official sources said the Centre will contribute its entire share.
National agriculture insurance scheme and weather-based agriculture insurance scheme are being implemented to compensate the farmers whose crops are damaged due to natural calamities like drought and flood.
The State Government has announced panchayat as a unit for agriculture insurance for paddy crop.
Rural Development and Cooperation Minister Bikram Keshari Arukh and Secretary Mona Sharma were present.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Knowledge and faith
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Chandy aborted Chennithala’s Cabinet berth: NSS