10-year-rigorous imprisonment for rape
By Express News Service - PHULBANI
29th June 2012 11:32 AM
The Assistant Session Judge, Phulbani, Santosh Kumar Mohapatra on Thursday sentenced a youth to 10 years rigorous imprisonment for raping a minor girl.
The accused Sukru Konhor of Malabhuin village under Khajuripada police limits had raped a 15-year-old girl of Premajhari village in September 2010 while she was returning home after purchasing some groceries. The accused had then promised to marry her.
When she became pregnant, her father and relatives along with ward members of Premjhari and Malbhuin village confronted the youth who admitted to have fathered the child. But he went back on his words at a meeting in the village.
The victim then reported the matter at Khajuripad police station, seven month after the incident. At least 16 witnesses deposed during the trial.
Sukru has also been fined Rs 5,000 and in case of a default he has to undergo another three months imprisonment.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Knowledge and faith
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals