Government for talks on Suktel Project
By Express News Service - BHUBANESWAR:
19th June 2012 12:03 PM
Former minister and BJD MLA AU Singhdeo has called upon the people of Balangir district to come forward for peaceful discussion with the authorities for starting the Lower Suktel irrigation project.
Stating that the project is very important for the people of Balangir district, Singhdeo said the State Government was committed for its early completion. He said bandh and agitation by some people to oppose the project will delay it further.
The former minister said the Government had envisioned the project to create massive irrigation potential in the drought-hit district. The project when completed will irrigate 31,380 hectares of land in Balangir and Sonepur districts, he said, adding that it can solve the district’s water problem besides creating the necessary conditions for its economic growth.
The cost estimate of the project was revised to ` 1,041 crore in 2009 from ` 217.13 crore. The spillway work was initiated with an aim to complete it by 2013. But work had to be stopped because of opposition from some people with vested interest, Singhdeo said and added that the Government was committed to start the work. He said the rehabilitation and resettlement policy will also be implemented fully.
- South block watch
- Greasepaint fails to hide K-town tension
- T M Soundararajan: An Alchemist who mixed melodies with emotions
- Srinivasan's Kolkata connect
- UPA-II anniversary: No honest appraisal
- Woolwich attack provokes anti-Muslim backlash across UK
- Bangladesh allows transit for foodgrains for Northeast India
- Increasing friction between the Chandy and Chennithala factions
- Raids on six officials reveals huge stash
- Experts push for blanket ban on tobacco promotion
- Now, Delhi police go after eight Kings XI Punjab players
- Sonia shocked, PM offers help to Raman
- Maoist attack: Kidnapped Chhattisgarh Congress chief, son found dead, toll 27
- Vidya Balan to go gangsta?
- Siddaramaiah inducts SR Patil into Karnataka State Cabinet