State lacks Agriculture Policy: Bhakta Das
By Express News Service - BHAWANIPATNA
21st November 2012 12:37 PM
A massive congregation of farmers was witnessed at Bhawanipatna on Tuesday.
Under the aegis of Krushak Cell of Congress, the farmers led by Congress MP from Kalahandi Bhakta Charan Das took out a rally from Autonomous Government College to Ghoda Ghat Chhack, public meeting venue, over various issues dogging agriculture.
Addressing the gathering, Das said the State lacks a proper agriculture policy and farmers are deprived of taking benefits of the Central Government schemes.
He said the farmers’ agitation would continue till the State Government declared ` 300 bonus above the minimum support price (MSP) for paddy. “Although neighbouring states like Chhattisgarh and Andhra Pradesh are providing bonus to farmers over the MSP during paddy procurement as declared by the Centre, the Odisha Government refuses to grant similar provision for the farmers here,” he said, adding that farmers here have been the victims of both drought, erratic monsoon and pest attack.
The Congress MP said: “Farmers in the district are hard hit due to pest attack in September and October. However, the government has not given any compensation for the loss.”
Similarly farmers who had paid premium in the central cooperative bank to insure the paddy crops grown last year are yet to get insurance amount, he pointed out.
He further alleged that this being the time for cotton procurement, Kalahandi administration does not seem to be ready for it.
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Western Ghat report has imperialist mindset: Ecologist
- Lot more to India-China ties than border stand-off: Experts
- Major industrial conglomerates making a beeline for Haryana
- Man kidnapped 23 years ago finds kin thanks to Google Maps
- Bangalore's techies start 'brand tattoos' craze
- Indian circuses struggle to adapt after court bans
- Want hassle-free tatkal ticket? Personally visit special counters
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Kalabhavan Mani missing after assaulting forest staff
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner
- Tamil Brahmi script dating to 500 BC found near Erode
- 'Sreesanth confesses to spot-fixing charge'
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt