Unique celebrations in J’singhpur
By Amarnath Parida - JAGATSINGHPUR
23rd October 2012 10:38 AM
It’s a mammoth gathering at Madanmohan temple at Kulakaijanga village under Biridi block here. The special attraction here is the Binsabhuja (20-hand) Goddess Durga idol.
According to scriptures, after Goddess Durga killed all the demons and evil forces, 20 devotees approached her to fulfil their wishes. She then took the form of Binsabhuja to grant them their wishes. Her 20 hands have ‘Baraja’, ‘Chandra’, ‘Chakra’, ‘Dhanu’, ‘Gada’, ‘Pasa’, ‘Ankush’, a snake, ‘Abhya’ on the right side and ‘Dhal’, ‘Sankha’, ‘Padama’, ‘Veena’, ‘Jambur’, ‘Trisul’, ‘Parsu’, an arrow and ‘Kamandali’ on the left.
President of the Nikhala Utkal Matha Mandiradhisa Seva Sangh, Swami Arupananda, also the owner of Madanmohan temple, said the deity is worshipped as per Vaishnav culture.
Sarala temple draws crowds
Like Kulakaijanga village, the Sarala temple in Kanakapur is also abuzz with activity as thousands of devotees are thronging the temple to witness the ‘Danda Yatra’ and ‘Suna Besha’ of the presiding deity, Goddess Sarala. This Sarala peetha is considered as one of the oldest Shakti peethas in the State.
According to historians, the idol of Astabhuja Devi Sarala was installed in this temple in the 7th century. Of the eight hands, the Goddess holds hair of Mahisasura, Trishuk, Khadaga, Padama, Chakra and a sword in six hands and scriptures in the other two. Due to this, Devi Sarala is not only worshipped as Devi Durga but also as Devi Saraswati.
As per the rituals, ‘Sudasa Puja’, ‘Chandi Patha’ and ‘Ahuti’ are performed daily during Durga Puja in the temple. After these rituals, Goddess Sarala is taken out in her ‘bimana’ to tour the entire area, known as Danda Yatra.
The Goddess adorns ‘Suna Vesha’ during Saptami, Asthami and Nabami. Danda Yatra and Suna Besha are the main attractions of the temple.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Farmer gets wise, beats drought with micro-irrigation
- Translation to go hi-tech; C-DAC to launch ‘Translator’
- Hurdles galore as UPA walks road to Ballot 2014
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- Key relationships
- Car makers run into diesel dilemma
- Jaya expresses grief over pontiff's death
- NEET 2013: CBSE gaffe leaves students in a fix
- Siddaramaiah has his way with team
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Shun hatred to live with peace