Man gets death for rape, murder of minor in Odisha
By IANS - BHUBANESWAR
08th October 2012 06:16 PM
A court in Odisha Monday awarded death sentence to a man convicted earlier for raping and murdering a minor, a lawyer said.
B.P. Routray, district and sessions judge of district headquarters of Sambalpur, about 315 km from here, sentenced to death Pradip Dalai (28) for abduction, rape and murder of a seven-year-old girl in the same town Sep 2.
The judge had found Dalai guilty Oct 1, however, the judgment came Monday.
"Today he (the judge) awarded death sentence to the guilty," public prosecutor Artatran Mishra told IANS.
He added that justice was delivered within 35 days of the occurrence of crime.
"This is probably for the first time that justice has been delivered by a court so swiftly in this region, Mishra said.
The man was arrested Sep 3, a day after he committed the crime, and police brought charges against him within a week of the crime.
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Knowledge and faith
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Spot-fixing: CSK owner's relative under police scanner for Vindu connection