Prithvi-II hits target
By Hemant Kumar Rout - BALASORE
05th October 2012 09:12 AM
The Strategic Forces Command (SFC) of Indian Army on Thursday added yet another feather in its cap by successfully conducting a user trial of nuclear capable Prithvi-II missile from a defence base off the Odisha coast.
With a dummy payload, the indigenously developed surface-to-surface medium range ballistic missile (MRBM) was blasted off from a mobile tatra transporter-erector launcher positioned at the Chandipur-based Integrated Test Range (ITR) at around 9.10 am.
A defence official said the test was carried out in salvo mode to evaluate the consistency and readiness of the missile.
All radars and other sensors along the east coast also monitored the missile’s trajectory and parameters. The missile can strike a target 350 km away.
The test was aimed at studying the control and guidance systems of the missile and its other parameters besides providing training to the user - the Army, as a part of the operational exercise.
The missile used for the test was picked up randomly from the production lot and launched with inertial navigation system.
“After a flight of nearly 500 seconds, it zeroed in on the predefined target in the Bay of Bengal with a single-digit accuracy of less than 10 metres. The flight test met all the mission objectives and it was a text-book launch,” said defence spokesperson and Director of Directorate of Public Interface at DRDO Headquarters Ravi Kumar Gupta.
ITR Director MVKV Prasad, senior officials of the army and DRDO scientists were present.
Dhanush Test Likely Today
The test of Dhanush missile, a Naval version of Prithvi missile had been postponed due to inclement weather. The missile was to be test fired by the Naval personnel from a warship nearly 35 nautical miles from Paradip coast. A defence official said preparations were made to launch the missile nearly an hour after the user trial of Prithvi-II missile.
“But we had to defer the test due to low pressure in the Bay of Bengal. If weather permits, the test will be conducted on Friday,” he said.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Knowledge and faith
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Chandy aborted Chennithala’s Cabinet berth: NSS