Move to include Aranmula Airport Project in
‘Emerging Kerala’ flayed
By Express News Service - PATHANAMTHITTA
06th September 2012 09:59 AM
The Thiruvaranmula Paithrukaga Samrakshana Samithi has termed as betrayal the move to include Aranmula airport project and Sabarimala Master Plan among ‘Emerging Kerala’ projects.
Addressing mediapersons here on Wednesday, samithi president K Haridas said the move to include Aranmula airport project among those that will be showcased at the ‘Emerging Kerala’ event is a clear violation of the Chief Minister‘s open declaration that the projects involving environmental problems would not be included in the project list.
Haridas said the inclusion of the airport project would be resisted at any cost and that the people of Aranmula would go to any extent with the agitation till the government withdraws the approval given to the project.
The samithi, in association with the Palliyoda-Pallivilakku Samrakshana Samithi and other environment protection organisations, will intensify the agitation against the airport project, he said.
The samithi will also protest against the government move to include Sabarimala Master Plan in ‘Emerging Kerala’ projects, said Haridas.
The move to include Sabarimala Master Plan is part of the dubious objective to commercialise Sabarimala pilgrimage.
He also questioned the government for labelling Sabarimala pilgrims as tourists, and added that the projects under the Master Plan could not be considered as commercial projects.
Hence, the government should immediately withdraw both the projects from the ‘Emerging Kerala’ list, Haridas said.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Knowledge and faith
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Spot-fixing: CSK owner's relative under police scanner for Vindu connection
- IPL Eliminator: Brad Hodge helps Royals beat Sunrisers
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover