Kerala nurses' strike: High suicide drama on hospital building
By Express News Service - KOTHAMANGALAM
17th August 2012 08:18 AM
The nurses of the Mar Baselios Medical Mission Hospital here took their agitation to incredible heights of melodrama when three of them positioned themselves on the fifth storey of the hospital building on Wednesday and threatened to jump down and commit suicide if their demands were not met. The local people supported by political parties turned out in strength and the result has been violence, police action including lathicharge, and hartal in the municipality.
Holding bottles of high-dose poison in their hands for consumption if anyone approached them, the harried and fasting nurses, Priya, Vidyarani and Anu VS, continued their nail-biting posture till Thursday night. However, later they ended their agitation following talks on their demands which include implementation of minimum wages as prescribed by the government and regularisation of services of those who have completed one year after internship. The agitation has been going on for the last 114 days.
The hartal on Thursday was complete in town limits and was marred by violence. The wind screen of a bus was broken while several motor bikes parked on the roadside were destroyed. The police lathicharged the crowds which tried to forcibly enter the hospital premises. Buses were diverted from the Kothamangalam town. Independence Day celebrations were cancelled.
It was at 7.30 am on Wednesday that the three nurses of INA made their dramatic appearance on the top storey of the hospital building.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- 'Kiran visited Delhi 76 times since he became CM'
- Bangalore scores low on medical tourism
- Sleepless nights, no baths for Sreesanth
- ‘Lack of anthropologists hits welfare policymaking’
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Key relationships
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Car makers run into diesel dilemma
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- NEET 2013: CBSE gaffe leaves students in a fix
- Jiju Janardhanan’s house in Kannur wears deserted look
- Hope floats for Nokia
- Bangalore crush Chennai in 8-over match, keep semi hopes alive