Sabarimala temple to open today
By Express News Service - SABARIMALA
05th August 2012 11:20 AM
The hill shrine of Lord Ayyappa will open on August 5 evening for the annual Niraputhari festival, marking the beginning of the harvest season, slated to be celebrated on August 6.
Melsanthi G Balamurali would open the sreekovil at 5.30 pm in the presence of Thantri Kandararu Maheswararu.
As a practice, hardly any ritual would be conducted in the evening. Niraputhari ceremony would be held between 5.30 a m and 6.10 a m on Monday. As part of the festival, Thantri Maheswararu would distribute paddy spikes to the devotees after performing pooja inside the sreekovil.
The temple would be closed on August 6 evening after athazha pooja and Harivarasanam.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- Police summon CSK boss on spot-fixing
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Bride-to-be found with head smashed
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Top LeT militant killed in encounter
- CBSE kids in fix as colleges begin enrolling