Metro man to head road renovation panel
By Vishnu Prasad|ENS - KOZHIKODE
02nd July 2012 08:30 AM
He may have achieved fame as the mastermind behind the Konkan Railway and Delhi Metro, but E Sreedharan’s expertise, it seems, is not limited to railways.
After asking him to help out with the Kozhikode Monorail and the High Speed Rail Corridor, the state government has tasked the Metro Man with heading a sub-committee of the State Planning Board to study methods to increase the durability of roads. State Planning Board vice-chairman K M Chandrasekhar told Express that the committee was formed a few months ago and that its activities were progressing well.
“The committee was formed after a proposition arose in board meetings that the durability of roads being built in the state has to be increased. Former Delhi Metro chief E Sreedharan, who is also a non-official member of the State Planning Board, has been tasked with leading the study. Another board member and a handful of engineers are also part of the group. We have not given them any definite deadline to submit their reports but I think they have already conducted a dozen meetings,” he said.
Sreedharan hinted he was leading the group at a recent function held in Kozhikode and confirmed the news later to Express. But he was unwilling to divulge further details regarding the progress of the study. But Planning Board member C P John, who is also a member of the committee, said that its work was nearly done.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Suriya storms ahead of Vijay, Ajith online
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Knowledge and faith