New dam at Attappadi: TN outfit blocks road
By Express News Service - PALAKKAD
23rd June 2012 12:13 PM
Around 50 activists of ‘Naam Thamizher’ blocked roads at Aanakatti in Attapadi, on the Tamil Nadu side of the border, for around one hour to protest against the construction of the dam at Chittur under the Attapadi Valley Irrigation Project(AVIP).
The proposed site for the project had been acquired by the Kerala Water Resources Department more than two decades ago.
The activists were dressed in black attire. They were later removed by the police.
The Tamil Nadu police had placed a contingent at Aanakatti under the leadership of three superintendents of police Murugaraj, Balaji and Shanmughan.
State co-ordinator and district secretary of Naam Thamizhar, Kesavadasan and Elamaaran, addressed the gathering. They demanded that Kerala should desist from the move to build a new dam at the site.
Owing to security reasons, the Kerala police did not allow motorists to leave Aanakatti to the Tamil Nadu side till 2 pm.
However, the situation returned to normal soon afterwards and there were no untoward incidents.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Slum removal scheme tweaked to make it more effective
- Ready to tune in the lord, catch him up on Twitter
- 95 per cent stolen goods not recovered in Kerala, says NCRB
- Karnataka MLAs were frugal in their poll spending
- Now talcum powder linked to ovarian cancer
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Flaws in Koodankulam plant
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- Learnt to embrace simplicity from SRK: Puvisha
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- Congress to vote in Nitish government's favour today