Madhu only Padma Awardee from Kerala
By Express News Service - THIRUVANANTHAPURAM
26th January 2013 10:27 AM
Veteran actor Madhu is the only person from the state to win the prestigious Padma awards for the year 2013 announced on the eve of the 64th Republic Day.
79-year-old Madhavan Nair alias Madhu, who bagged Padma Shri, is the only winner among the 39 persons nominated from Kerala for the Padma awards. Madhu was a leading film actor during the 60s and 70s.
He has also directed and produced many films and at one time owned a film studio. His most notable role was as Pareekutty in Ramu Karyat’s ‘Chemmeen’ which won the President’s Gold Medal. Madhu entered Malayalam cinema and created a niche for himself at a time when lead roles were dominated by actors such as Prem Nazir and Sathyan.
The honour comes at a time when Madhu is in the 50th year of his film career.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- 'Kiran visited Delhi 76 times since he became CM'
- Bangalore scores low on medical tourism
- ‘Lack of anthropologists hits welfare policymaking’
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Western Ghat report has imperialist mindset: Ecologist
- Lot more to India-China ties than border stand-off: Experts
- Major industrial conglomerates making a beeline for Haryana
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt
- Jiju Janardhanan’s house in Kannur wears deserted look
- Indefinite strike leaves city parched; mineral water bottles fly off shop shelves
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs