Graft, a form of violence: Dalai Lama
By Express News Service - VARAKALA
25th November 2012 09:25 AM
The Dalai Lama has said that trust is essential between two individuals and two nations for peace. It should be transparent and honest, he added in an oblique reference to China, which has subjugated Tibet after its annexation decades ago. “Distrust will destroy inner peace. It will lead to cheating and bullying. Like in many countries, growing self-centric attitude is leading to corruption. It is a form of violence,’’ he noted.
The Dalai Lama was all praise for India and its secular traditions. The 1000-year-old cultural tradition of India honours not only religions of all hues, imbibed and home grown, but non-believers also. The religious harmony and thrust on non-violence, despite occasional mischiefs here and there, are wonderful, he said.
Buddhism was introduced in Tibet in the eighth century by Sankara Sidda, an eminent scholar and philosopher from the Nalanda university. We’re students of the Nalanda tradition, he said.
Calling upon religions and communities to go beyond mere beliefs and faith, the Tibetan leader called for active interventions . ‘’It is not sufficient to remain in temples and perform poojas. You have to meet people and teach them values,’’ he said.
Health and education sectors are very important. The contributions of the Church and Ramakrishna Mission in this fields are great,’’ he felt. Marthoma Valiya Metropolitan Dr Philipose Mar Chrysostum said that the pilgrimage season of Sivagiri brings out the goodness of pilgrims. ‘’A sense of God in the world is quite necessary. The life and teachings of Sree Narayana Guru are an antidote to the deteriorating morality and ethical nature of man and make him realise the element of God within him,” he said.
Running away from trials and tribulations is not an achievement. One has to look at the opportunities in every situation, he advised.
Delivering the keynote address,Speaker G Karthikeyan said that no Guru had thought from the side of man as did Sree Narayana Guru.
The topics and sessions dealt with at the Sivagiri pilgrimage season were initiated by the Guru 80 years ago, he pointed out. It also shows why leaders of the stature of Mahatma Gandhi, Nehru and Indira Gandhi had come here, he added. The Dalai Lama released a logo on an expo being organised as part of the month-long pilgrimage season in Sivagiri.
He was presented with a memento by Swami Prakasananda on behalf of Sivagiri Mutt. Mementos were gifted for the Yoga Kshema Sabha and Prajapati Brahma Kumaris also.
Sree Narayana Dharma Sangham president Swami Prakasananda presided over the meet. Sivagiri Mutt general secretary Swami Rithambarananda welcomed the dignitaries. Swamis Sidhananda, Pramananda and Guru Prasad were also present.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Deadly year for encephalitis feared in India
- A mobile phone for Kerala CM, finally
- India becomes Kenya's largest Asian trading partner
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: HC
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15