Consecration of Mar Baselios Cleemis as Cardinal Saturday
By Express News Service - THIRUVANANTHAPURAM
24th November 2012 12:48 PM
The much-awaited anointment of Archbishop-Catholicos Mar Baselios Cleemis as the first Cardinal of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church will be held at Vatican on Saturday. He will be consecrated as Cardinal by Pope Benedict XVI at St Mary’s Basilica at 3.30 pm.
Faithful of the Church and well-wishers of the popular church leader are buoyed with reverence and love for Mar Cleemis on the occasion of his ascension in the church hierarchy and entitlement to have a say in the selection of Pope in the years to come. He is the second Cardinal, the senior being Mar George Alencherry, from the state to be seated along with the Pope.
That he is also creating history through a rare opportunity which has come in the way of the Malankara Catholic Church, a relatively small but powerful and resourceful denomination within the church fold in the state, that too at a young age of 53, is of great significance.
No official ceremonies have been organised to coincide with the installation ceremony at Vatican. Mar Cleemis will be returning to the state on November 30, in his capacity as the Cardinal. A thanks-giving Mass will be celebrated by the Cardinal at the St Mary’s Cathedral at Pattom here on next Sunday. A public reception will be held here on December 10.
An official delegation led by Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P J Kurien and comprising Union Minister K C Venugopal, MPs Jose K Mani and E T Mohammed Basheer has left for Vatican to represent the country in the consecration ceremonies. A delegation of multi-religious, political and social groups, in which city Mayor K Chandrika is also a member, has also reached Rome.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- Suriya storms ahead of Vijay, Ajith online
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs
- Vindu Dara Singh nabbed for IPL scam links
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- CCTV must for BPUT exam centres