30 more bar hotels to be issued licences
By Express News Service - KOCHI
17th November 2012 09:48 AM
The state government will have to issue 30 bar licences as the Supreme Court is yet to take a decision on a petition challenging the Kerala High Court order staying the government policy not to issue licences for three star hotels, Excise Minister K Babu has said.
The Minister made the government’s stand clear after inaugurating the two-day camp for anti-liquor counsellors organised by the Kerala Catholic Bishops Council Temperance Commission at the Renewal Centre here on Friday.
“In this regard, a file has been forwarded to the Chief Minister. Further action will be taken as directed by the CM,” Babu said.
“A total ban on alcohol is not practical. The government’s effort is to reduce the consumption of alcohol in a phased manner through awareness programmes. A total ban can cause disasters like a hooch tragedy,” he said.
Babu said that it is unfortunate that efforts to create awareness are not bearing fruits. He said that the department was going to launch a mobile lab in the state to provide professional assistance to anti-liquor campaigns. “The government does not want to amass wealth but to control and regulate the consumption of liquor in the state,” the Minister said.KCBC Anti-liquor Movement president Charley Paul presided over the function. Fr George Nerevettil and Renewal Centre director Fr Antony Puthiyaparambil spoke. Sr Rose Jose and P A Antony led the sessions.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- 'Kiran visited Delhi 76 times since he became CM'
- Bangalore scores low on medical tourism
- Sleepless nights, no baths for Sreesanth
- ‘Lack of anthropologists hits welfare policymaking’
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Key relationships
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Car makers run into diesel dilemma
- NEET 2013: CBSE gaffe leaves students in a fix
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Jaya expresses grief over pontiff's death
- Jiju Janardhanan’s house in Kannur wears deserted look
- Hope floats for Nokia