Jayakumar to take charge as Malayalam University VC
By Express News Service - TIRUR
01st November 2012 10:24 AM
The long wait for the Malayalam University will end on Thursday with Chief Minister Oommen Chandy formally inaugurating the centre of higher learning at Thunchanparamba near here.
K Jayakumar IAS will take charge as the vice-chancellor of the university. An advisory board led by author M T Vasudevan Nair and O N V Kuruppu will help him chalk out the academic structure.
The classes will start from the next academic year. A high-level meeting held here had drawn up the primary structure of the varsity. It will give emphasis on cultural studies as well as subjects related to the Malayalam language.
Research will be given priority.
However, the officials have not yet succeeded in finding a suitable place for the varsity. Local people are against setting up the institution at Palathani, the proposed site. The authorities are trying to find a site in Tirur itself.
The university will function at the Thunchan Memorial College until it gets own campus. Ministers, MPs, MLAs, cultural leaders and bureaucrats will attend the inaugural ceremony to be held on Thursday, which will follow a cultural procession.
The chief Minister will reach the venue in a helicopter from Thiruvananthapuram.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals
- Suriya storms ahead of Vijay, Ajith online
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs
- Vindu Dara Singh nabbed for IPL scam links