Maradona waves, blows kisses to fans
By Krishnakumar K H - KANNUR
25th October 2012 12:23 PM
Diego Maradona, the supreme entertainer, thrilled over 50,000 enthusiastic fans at the Municipal Jawahar Stadium in Kannur on Wednesday.
Ever one to identify himself with fans, Maradona was quick to veer away from any formal obligations that he was expected to carry out on stage to interact with them - waving, blowing kisses and flashing a million-dollar smile in all directions, at every opportunity. By the time the clocked showed 20 minutes to 12 noon, El Diez was drenched in sweat, from his energetic manoeuvres on the ramp.
Adding to the festivities, the fans joined in a chorus to give Maradona, set to turn 52 on October 30, advanced birthday wishes. And to the icon’s pleasant surprise, the organisers had in waiting young musician Charles, who sang and played on the guitar a Spanish birthday song.
An excited Maradona took on the gauntlet and proceeded to sing another hit Spanish number, much to the delight of the audience.
He looked game for more, but given the heat and the tight schedule, he signed off, “Ciao” - bowing in acknowledgement to the love for football and its superstar shown in no uncertain measure by the fans in Kannur. The biggest sporting celebrity ever to visit Kerala, Maradona had arrived via the Cochin International Airport on Tuesday.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Knowledge and faith
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Chandy aborted Chennithala’s Cabinet berth: NSS