Ganja racket busted
By Express News Service - THRISSUR
08th October 2012 01:18 PM
Four persons involved in a ganja racket were arrested by the Irinjalakuda police on Saturday.
The arrested are Shameer, 29, of Karuvannur, Sasi, 44, of Cheloor, Raju, 35, of Nadavarmbu and Vipin, 21, of Karuvannur. The police seized around 2 kg of ganja from them.
The police said the gang had been exporting ganja to the Middle East in the guise of ayurveda products for the past few years. The police said Shameer, the kingpin of the racket, used to approach people wanting to go to the Gulf for job and request them to carry a packet of ayurveda medicine for his relatives there. Once they agreed, he would hand over a packet of ganja calling it ayurveda medicine and his agent in the Gulf would collect the consignment from them at the airport, the police said.
The information on the ganja racket was received by the Thrissur rural police chief P H Ashraf. The ganja was brought from AP and TN by the other three accomplices. The police have tightened the monitoring of vehicles coming from outside the city. The arrested have been remanded in judicial custody. A case has been registered in the Irinjalakuda police station.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- 'Kiran visited Delhi 76 times since he became CM'
- Bangalore scores low on medical tourism
- Sleepless nights, no baths for Sreesanth
- ‘Lack of anthropologists hits welfare policymaking’
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Key relationships
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Car makers run into diesel dilemma
- NEET 2013: CBSE gaffe leaves students in a fix
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Jaya expresses grief over pontiff's death
- Jiju Janardhanan’s house in Kannur wears deserted look
- Hope floats for Nokia