Egg, milk for Anganwadi kids in Mysore
By Vincent D’Souza - MYSORE
16th September 2012 12:38 PM
In a first in the state, Mysore Zilla Panchayat will introduce egg and milk in the Anganwadi menu which will benefit more than 1.
35 lakh kids between the age of six months and six years.
Each child will relish an egg or 150 ml milk once in a week starting next week.
To bring in the ideal protein food rich in biological value, the Zilla Panchayat has made some slight modifications in the menu.
The sprouted cereals (low in absorption value) which was being served twice in a week has been cut down to once to make way for egg and milk.
“While the absorption value of egg is 100 per cent, the milk is rich in protein and fat contents which is good for the growing children,” said Zilla Panchayat CEO Dr Ajay Nagabushan.
According to ICDS norms, a child should get a minimum of 300 calories.
Now with the inclusion of egg and milk, it will almost double.
Hitherto, egg and milk were served only to malnourished children.
By extending it to all children, the Zilla Panchayat is hoping to reduce the number of malnourished children in the district.
Anganwadis will locally procure egg and milk.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Knowledge and faith
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Chandy aborted Chennithala’s Cabinet berth: NSS