Impart value-based education: Ravi
By Express News Service - BANGALORE
16th September 2012 11:34 AM
Higher Education Minister CT Ravi on Saturday laid emphasis on value-based education in schools and colleges. Speaking at a seminar on the ‘Role of Irrigation Projects’ organised by Karnataka State Unaided College Managements Association here, he said, “There are a number of government-run educational institutions. Many private educational institutions are imparting quality education to students. The need of the hour is to impart value-based education to the students,” he stated.
The education field, in a country like India, was earlier perceived as sacred, but now it has become ‘commercial’, he observed.
Speaking on the occasion, former chief minister D V Sadananda Gowda said, “In two months time, the State government would initiate a process to bring in 24 tmc ft of water to Chickballapur and Kolar districts through lift irrigation from Hemavathi river via Tumkur, said former Chief Minister D V Sadananda Gowda.
He added that Rs 500 crore had been allocated in the budget for this purpose. Calling upon students to have quest for knowledge, he said they should go beyond marks and college text book knowledge. The government has allocated Rs 15,000 crore for the education sector and Rs 19,000 crore for the agriculture sector.
The prosperity of any state depends upon progress made in the fields of education and agriculture, he observed.
Adichunchanagiri Math seer Balagangadharnatha Swamiji, Labour Minister B N Bache Gowda and former Union minister M V Rajashekharan were present.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Knowledge and faith
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- BrahMos missile test fired from Russian warship
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Spot-fixing: CSK owner's relative under police scanner for Vindu connection
- IPL Eliminator: Brad Hodge helps Royals beat Sunrisers
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover