J Shanta retains Lok Sabha seat
By Express News Service - BELLARY
16th September 2012 12:15 PM
J Shanta retained the Bellary Lok Sabha seat in the recounting of votes held at RYM Engineering College here on Saturday.
The recounting was held as per the directions of the High Court.
Sources said that the recounting was a repeat of the counting held in 2009 and no mismatch was found during the procedure.
However, the official declaration about the winning candidate will be made by the High Court based on the recounting result sent by the Election Commission.
Many feel that the allegation of Chandre Gouda, an election agent and close confidant of N Y Hanumantappa who had filed a petition in the High Court alleging that there was malpractice during the counting of votes, can be dismissed as the result remained the same.
Though Hanumantappa maintained a lead of 2,111 votes till 16 rounds of counting, Shanta took charge in the 17th round and held a firm lead of 2,243 votes in the final round.
Even with seven candidates in the fray, the neck-and-neck contest was between the two.
Hanumanthappa got 3,99,970 votes while Shanta got 4,02,213 votes.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Suriya storms ahead of Vijay, Ajith online
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- Vindu Dara Singh nabbed for IPL scam links
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham