Janardhana Reddy completes 1 year in jail
By Express News Service - BANGALORE
05th September 2012 11:10 AM
Mining baron Gali Janardhana Reddy who dictated terms in state BJP and controlled the politics of Bellary district completes a year in jail on September 5.
Last year Reddy was arrested by the CBI officials from his residence in Bellary on the same day in connection with the charges of illegal mining by his firm - Obalapuram Mining Company (OMC) in the neighbouring state Andhra Pradesh. He was lodged in the Chanchalaguda jail in Hyderabad and then shifted to Bangalore jail with the Supreme Court ordering an inquiry against his another firm Associated Mining Company that operated in Karnataka.
However, despite being behind the bars, Reddy was hit the headlines recently for cash- for-bail scam.
The deal saw Reddy’s younger brother G Somashekhar Reddy behind bars along with their trusted man and Kampli MLA Suresh Babu on charges of facilitating the cash-forbail deal.
The sword of suspicion is also hanging on B Sriramulu, the most trusted man of Reddy.
Sriramulu has already been interrogated by the anti-corruption bureau (ACB) of Hyderabad in connection with the scam. This apart, Reddy continues to haunt several politicians.
Opposition leader in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj is one among them. Though, she has distanced herself completely from them after serious allegations of illegal mining started cropping up fingers are still being raised at her. With the Bellary district politics is already slipping from their grip, J Shantha, the younger sister of Sriramulu is facing the threat of losing her Parliament membership as the Supreme Court has ordered the recounting of votes.
On its part the state BJP appears to be relieved by the downfall of Reddy brothers who made it dance to their tunes. With most of the Reddy clan caught in the legal problems, the state BJP wants to start afresh in the border district by identifying fresh faces.
“It is with this reason, Anand Singh a Reddy follower-turned-foe has been made minister,” said a BJP senior leader.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Deadly year for encephalitis feared in India
- A mobile phone for Kerala CM, finally
- India becomes Kenya's largest Asian trading partner
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: HC
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15