Yeddyurappa seeks surplus grains from Centre
By Express News Service - SHIMOGA
20th August 2012 08:38 AM
Former chief minister B S Yeddyurappa demanded the Union government to release surplus food grains that will be supplied to the people of drought-hit areas.
Speaking to reporters here on Sunday, Yeddyurappa called upon MLAs, MPS and party workers cutting across party lines should work collectively in this situation. “The BJP party workers should inculcate confidence in people,” he said. Demanding the Central government to compensate the Rs 3600 crore loan amount waived of by the state government, Yeddyurappa urged the Central government to waive of farmers loans issued by nationalised bank in the state.
He also supported Deputy Chief Minister K S Eshwarappa’s idea of relaxing some norms for successful implementation of MGNREGA scheme in the state. He said the main objective of his tour to drought-hit areas was to instill confidence in farmers, to intensify the ongoing drought relief works and pay attention to utilise the funds properly. On why he could not reduce the cess (imposed by state) on petroleum, Yeddyurappa said that the Central government had increased the price during his tenure as it was pro people. The collected cess was utilised for government social programmes.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals
- Suriya storms ahead of Vijay, Ajith online
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs
- Vindu Dara Singh nabbed for IPL scam links