He who brandishes the slipper passes the budget
By Express News Service - BIDAR
03rd July 2012 08:36 AM
Discussions and dissent are part and parcel of the proceedings of our governing bodies. But slippers?
Governance plumbed to a new low during the budget meeting of the Bidar City Municipal Council on Monday, with CMC president Shreedevi Karanje brandishing — yes, her slipper — in order to assert her authority and put in place those protesting the “unilateral” budget presented by her.
Three members of the ruling JD(S) — Shivakumar, Manohar Dande and Mokers — alleged Shreedevi and Commissioner G Ramadasthe of not convening a preliminary meeting while preparing the budget.
As the trio rushed in to the well of the house, an agitated Shreedevi brandished her footwear to them. As if this weren’t enough, a launched a barrage of expletives against the the three CMC members.
With the situation getting out of hand, some members of the CMC managed to coax the flagrant president out of the house. Despite the pandemonium, the president was successful in getting approval for the `25.22-crore budget.
23 of the total 35 members of the CMC were present in the house. 20 members approved the budget.
In a release after the incident, Shreedevi accused the trio of deliberately disturbing proceedings.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Deadly year for encephalitis feared in India
- A mobile phone for Kerala CM, finally
- India becomes Kenya's largest Asian trading partner
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: HC
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15