Akbaruddin Owaisi detained for violating model code, released
By PTI - BIDAR
03rd March 2013 08:36 AM
legislator Akbaruddin Owaisi was Saturday detained at
Basavakalyan town, about 80 km from here, for allegedly
violating the model code of conduct enforced in connection
with the urban local bodies polls, police said.
The controversial leader was, however, later released, police said.
Owaisi was here to campaign for his party candidates, contesting the March seven urban local bodies polls in Karnataka.
Karnataka High Court had yesterday stayed for three weeks proceedings against Owaisi in a lower court at Bangalore in connection with a complaint filed against him for his alleged hate speech at a public meeting in Adilabad in Andhra Pradesh.
Owaisi, who has earlier been booked by Andhra Pradesh police on charges of sedition among others, was arrested in January. He was released on bail on February 16.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- Lingerie mannequins face moral police wrath
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Farmer gets wise, beats drought with micro-irrigation
- Super Kings hope to ride Mumbai's hit wave
- 6,000 ducks die of plague in Thrissur
- India, China focus on civil nuke cooperation
- IPL spot-fixing: Cops probing Bollywood, Tollywood links
- Suriya storms ahead of Vijay, Ajith online
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs
- Rs 20 Lakhs seized from Ajit Chandila's cricket kit
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas