Karnataka MLA gets one-year jail for poll code breach
By IANS - HASSAN
31st December 2012 10:35 PM
A lawmaker of opposition Janata Dal-Secular (JD-S) from Arasikere assembly constituency in Hassan was Monday sentenced to one year in jail by a local court here for violating the poll code during the 2009 parliamentary elections in the state.
Delivering the verdict on finding K.M. Shivlinge Gowda guilty of the charge, division court Judge Prakash Chanappa Kumbit directed police to issue an arrest warrant against him and take him into custody.
"There is enough evidence against Gowda of violating the model code of election by serving non-vegetarian food to the electorate of his assembly constituency during the 2009 Lok Sabha polls," the judge ruled and imposed a fine of Rs.1,000 on him.
Arasikere in Hassan district is about 170 km from state capital Bangalore.
Gowda, however, said though he would abide by the ruling, he had filed an application in the same court for suspending the order.
The petition against Gowda was filed by the Election Commission on a complaint by voters in the constituency.
JD-S president and former prime minister H.D. Deve Gowda won from the Hassan Lok Sabha constituency in 2009, defeating Hanume Gowda of the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
- Madrasi heart for Pakistani Madrassa teacher
- Somayagam returns after 48 years
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- CBSE results likely to be out in 4-5 days
- Sushma upset at Modi role, walks out of BJP meet
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- Bride-to-be found with head smashed
- 56,700 Indians face deportation from Saudi Arabia: Khurshid
- Police summon CSK boss on spot-fixing
- CBSE kids in fix as colleges begin enrolling