Decision to quit BJP final: Yeddyurappa
By Express News Service - BIDAR / TUMKUR
29th October 2012 08:25 AM
Former chief minister B S Yeddyurappa clarified on Sunday that his decision to quit the BJP was final and there was no going back.
“My new political regional party (Karnataka Janata Party) will be launched on December 10. I am not dependant on anybody. God and the people are with me. I will not invite anyone to my new party, but will welcome whoever comes,” he said after unveiling the world’s highest Basaveshwara statue at Basavakalyan on Sunday.
The senior leader said when he was chief minister, he had sanctioned Rs 49 crore for the Basavakalyan Development Board. “I will support all programmes of (spiritual leader) Mate Mahadevi, as she is involved in development work.”
The Basaveshwara statue unveiling programme was attended by Mate Mahadevi, Energy Minister Shobha Karandlaje, Animal Husbandry Minister Revu Nayak Belmagi, District Minister Sunil Vallyapure, MLAs Prabhu Chawan, Raju Gawada Patil Naribol, MLC Bharti Shetty, Zahirabad MP Suresh Settakar, Rajya Sabha member Basavaraj Patil Sedam and others.
Meanwhile in Tumkur, addressing the valedictory function of the weavers’ conference, the former chief minister termed himself as Arjuna of the Mahabharat who knewg the skill of entering the chakravyuha and how to come out safely. “My enemies might have perceived me for an Abhimanyu who only knew how to enter the chakravyuha. I will prove myself,” he challenged.
“I have stepped out of the house and there is no question of returning. I regret that the BJP leaders have painted me badly through a sustained propaganda. I would not have minded if it was done by the Opposition parties but leaders within the BJP tried to spoil my image to make someone else (BJP national general secretary Anantha Kumar) the chief minister,” he said.
“If I was allowed to complete my tenure of five years, I would have overtaken Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on the development front,” he said.
“I will not beg in front of any Chief Minister to fulfil your dreams. Throw your weight behind me and wait for another five months I will get back the post and fulfil all your promises,” he said.
Weaver leader M D Lakshminarayan, Member of Legislative Council, and religious heads and Siddaganga Mutt seer Sri Shivakumara Swamiji attended the meet.
District Minister Sogadu Shivanna took part separately in the inaugural function.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Deadly year for encephalitis feared in India
- A mobile phone for Kerala CM, finally
- India becomes Kenya's largest Asian trading partner
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: HC
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15